Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Mandarin - Chinese @ 2102 Chestnut St

The event was to congratulate our colleague who accepted a full time position with the team she was working as a consultant. There was a Bistro place right across the street from our work place but we decided not to go there as it was not to the liking of some. Then we thought Mediterranean, but some friends found the Mediterranean food bland on their previous visit. So we chose a Chinese as it would satisfy the appetites of most.

The closest was 'A Mandarin' at 21 St. and Chestnut St. It is a relatively new restaurant in the center city. I have been there once before which probably was the first week of the restaurant. I could have mistaken it for another restaurant. But I am sticking to my story.

We reached there around 11:55 AM and were the second group there. We were a team of 8 and the staff had to bring a 2 seater table to join with the 6 seater table. The place was full in about 10 minutes from the time we got seated. The interior was neat without any extravagance or gaudiness to the decor. It so happens that today was the Chinese new year of the Rat and hence they had some red lamps hanging outside and inside close to the glass windows.

After we got seated, the waitress got us a pitcher of water. A little later she got us Tea in these nice green tea cups. The tea cups were impressive that were unlike the typical small white cups that all Chinese restaurants have. These light green cups were more like tumblers and we were pleasantly surprised to see them. The tea was hot and good which was what I needed after a 10 minute walk in the extreme cold outside.

The menu has a variety of options including lunch combos and lunch specials. The lunch combo comes with steamed/brown rice and egg roll. The lunch special just comes with steamed/brown rice. I ordered The Fisherman's Delight which was a mix of sea food (shrimp, squid, crab) with onions and white lettuce in a very mildly spicy sauce. The onions were not to my taste. They were lightly sautéed that left it a little crispness but it not raw either. I like onions either raw or fully cooked to a colorless soft texture. I put aside the onions and enjoyed the rest of the meal with the sea food and sauce.

My other team members had Kung Pao Chicken, Eggplant with Chicken, and Chicken with Broccoli etc. I did take a bite of Kung Pao chicken and Chicken Eggplant. I liked the Chicken Eggplant. The eggplant was well cooked, soft, sweet and tasty. The Kung Pao was good as well. They all liked their meal and commended me on my choosing the restaurant, though it was a actually recommended to me by a colleague who lives in the city and has been to the restaurant several times.

The service was very nice, the waitress seemed to understand what we were asking, she was checking on us several times and the tea was refilled again at the end of the meal. The interior was very clean and had sufficient light. The tables were wide enough to not step on others toes and eat our food comfortably. The average cost of the lunch combinations were $7-8. I highly recommend this place and did I say the tea was great. Oh! Also did I mention that the tea tumblers were unique and nice as well?

No comments: