Saturday, April 12, 2008

Walnut Bridge Cofee House - Cafe @ 2319 Walnut St.

Located at 23rd and Walnut in Center City is a Gem of a Coffee shop. The cafe is situated facing road site of Walnut Street in an old archaic building that could need some cleaning. The sign for the shop is beautiful but is small and is placed quite high up on the building to be noticeable.

Like a lotus in a swamp it is housed in a building that is most likely not noticed unless you are looking for it or told by someone else. The second is what happened to me. I had passed that street several times, by foot and by car, but never ever noticed it. My colleague who visits that shop almost daily recommended it and I set out to test it. It is located a few walks from the Walnut Bridge and hence the name I guess.

I wanted a good coffee at the end of cloudy cold day in early March and I visited the cafe that evening. Unfortunately the cafe closes at 6:30 and I was a few minutes late. Never one to give up, I went there the next morning at 9:00AM and this time with a colleague friend of mine.

It's cozy setting inside with about 4 small tables to the left and the counter on the right. The decor was simple and attractive. They feature a local artist on the left side wall of the cafe. The man behind the counter was courteous and nice to talk to. He mentioned that they close at 6:30PM as they do not have much business after.

I took a regular small sized (8oz I think) coffee with an almond scone. My colleague had a cafe latte. The coffee is Illy coffee. I liked the coffee at $1.30 in their smallest size and the scone was $2.00. The scone was delicious, soft, crumbly and lightly sweet.

They also have sandwiches and wraps for lunch that I intend to try out sometime in the future. I will surely post that experience here. They also have chocolates, pastries, tea etc and they do catering as well.

To conclude, I recommend this place for a quick bite in the morning or lunch time. The location is what makes it odd. It is neither in the busiest corner nor is it at a scenic location. Or maybe that is the plus to it as they is not much noise out here.

Note: The following pictures are taken on my next visit to this place with my wife. My wife took the croissant and she says she liked the croissant at Dunkin Donuts better. The reason could be that she likes her croissant toasted and they did not have a toaster in house to have her croissant toasted to taste like the way she liked it. To me all croissants taste alike. I took a regular coffee. I liked the white porcelain cups but my wife says that the handle were really small. I kind of agree with her on hindsight. She also had Cafe Latte and liked it. I have more or less become a regular customer to them.

No comments: