Saturday, May 10, 2008

Swiss Haus Bakery - Bakery @ 35 S 19th Street

I saw this bakery called Swiss Huas on my way out of a restaurant on a Thursday afternoon. I had been to this bakery a long time ago. I am fond of Tiramisu cake and wanted to see if they had one. The exterior and interior looked great. The floor had yellow tiles with exquisite design. I was floored seeing the paintings and decor of the bakery.

I ordered a Tiramisu cake. It was the smallest for a price of $4.50 that I have ever paid for a Tiramisu cake. The cake was the size of a cup cake about 3 in diameter and about 3 in thick. Very small by all standards.

The base was hard unlike any Tiramisu I had ever tasted. The mascarpone cheese layer on the top had a salty taste as if the baker put excess liquor (I don’t know if they put rum or anything to Tiramisu but I am assuming they do from the taste of this).

There were lot of cookies, cakes and pastries. But the prices were expensive. As they say what you see is what you get. But not exactly. The statement is right for the prices but not truly for the taste here. Nothing was available for a casual morning breakfast or a lunch. They do have coffee and Tazo tea. I don't think I will be going back again.

No comments: